Thursday, February 22, 2007

Memories


My 13 year old daughter was going through some boxes of stuff that were packed up and stored in the back of her closet. One of the boxes contained vinyl records from my teenage years! She was laughing to see some of the music I listened to when I was 13 can still be heard on the radio today. I had albums from Sting and the Police, The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Rod Stewart, U2 and others some still around that'she's never heard of.

"WOW!" she said. "The Rolling Stones ARE really old! You listened to them when you were young!"

My husband and I were laughing. I told her Mick Jagger is old enough to be my father!

Looking at all those albums brought back lots of memories. I don't know if I would call them the good old days, today's days are pretty good...to me at least. She wanted to play them so she could hear some of the songs I said I really liked, but the turntable doesn't have a needle. "Should I get the sewing box?" she asked.

OH, we laughed. New technologies certainly have made listening to music much easier that's for sure!

It was fun to pour over those albums remembering the things I did, the concerts I went to, all the things we do in our youth that seem so important to us at the time.

How life's priorities change through time. I wouldn't want to live without music, but there is certainly no constant sound track to my life anymore. Now I would much rather listen to the birds singing, the wind blowing or the rain on the roof than Mick sing about Rock and Roll!

AH, but the memories are good!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I remember the first time Dakotah saw a record album, she said, "WOW!!! That's the biggest cd I've ever seen!"

I'm getting old too -- I can crank the music up and sing at the top of my lungs when I'm in the car alone, but otherwise, I'm not a big fan of loudness...

Wayne has downloaded every concert ever known to man from the 70's and wants to watch them really really loud constantly.

It bothers me to the point that I fight back tears because I just want him to turn it down -- I don't want to listen to him sing, I don't want to hear it, nothing!!!

And he LOVES concerts - he would go to every concert that came to Ottawa or Montreal.

Me, not so much. A) I'm 5'tall - so all I ever see is the back of someone's head. B) I'm not a lover of crowds of 30,000 people. C) If I'm going to spend that much money on a night out, I can think of about 30 things I'd rather do.

He's tricky though - he wants to get concert tickets for "me" for occasions - my birthday, our anniversary, etc...that way I'm trapped into going!!!!